As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I was on the hunt for a bookcase that was a little different, with good ‘Bones’ that I could sculpt into something my style. I found this really cool wooden bookcase with glass doors on craigslist! I had to have it! So I dragged my two friends with me to the sellers storage unit to pick it up. It was in great condition! The shelves were a little bent from books being stored on them but that’s to be expected. It was time to put My Eye 4 DIY to work… (NOTE: I only advise going to a stranger’s storage unit if you have multiple people with you, one of whom is a male! Safety First!)
– One roll of wrapping paper from Papyrus $4 – 1 can of spray adhesive $8
– Two cans of Nickle Satan Spray Paint $7 – One Used bookshelf from Craigslist $40
– Hammer – TOTAL COST: $56
I decided to add this piece to my bedroom which has an upscale purple and silver theme happening. My first thought: “Get rid of the wood and add some glamour!”
STEP 1: PREP BOOKCASE
– Cover the glass doors with news paper both inside and out, as well as the hardware door hinges.
– Take off the door handles unless you want them spray painted the same color as bookcase. Put them back on when done. (I wanted the handles to pop so I didn’t spray them the same color. They would have blended into the bookcase.)
STEP 2: ADD GLAMOUR TO BACK PANEL
– Using the claw of a hammer, I detached the back side wooden panel so that I could add the glamorous wrapping paper from Papyrus as the new back-drop of the bookcase.
– Lay the wooden panel on a flat surface (I used my balcony).
– Spray the adhesive over the entire board and neatly place the wrapping paper over the entire length starting at the top and gently smoothing it down to the bottom. (Sorry no photo for this step)
STEP 3: SPRAY PAINT BOOKCASE
– Apply two coats of Nickel Satan spray paint. You can add a Gloss coat as well if you like. I chose not to, I liked the way it come out with the two coats. (Allow 1-2 hours to dry.)
STEP 4: RE-APPLY BACK PANEL/DOOR HANDLES
– Take the newly covered back panel and nail it onto the bookcase with the design facing inside.
– Once dry, screw door handles back on.
– This is a close-up of the pack panel design I chose.
BAM! I have what looks like a brand new Bookcase with glass doors, bold hardware & overall sleek design. I LOVE IT!
Have an idea or a piece of furniture that you want to make your own? Take a stab at it!!
There are NO RULES! Just Guidelines!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Leave a Reply