As luck would have it I scored a pretty big master bedroom when it comes to apartment living. The catch is my bathroom is small!! The cabinet under the sink is only about 20 inches wide and doesn’t provide much room for storage due to the drainpipe. So whats a gal to do with all her hair accessories or toiletries for that matter?!?! I came up with this $6 storage solution to help with a little more space…
– A Hammer
– (2) Swivel End Sash Curtain Rods (2 pack of 11″-19″ rods from Big Lots for $2)
– (4) Ikea Bygel Containers (.99 cent ea.)
This is my bathroom…I told you it was small! I don’t like to see clutter so I thought of adding storage space to the inside of the cabinet door.
Add two curtain rods to the back of your cabinet door horizontally and then hook two Ikea Bygel containers to each rod.
STEP 1: MEASURE HORIZONTAL PLACEMENT OF CURTAIN RODS
– Measure the distance between the curtain rods approximately half an inch longer than the height of the Bygel Container from Ikea.
– Also, when measuring the placement of the top rod, be careful not to apply the first rod up so high that the cabinet door won’t close once you put accessories in the containers. (See picture above.)
STEP 2: INSTALL CURTAIN RODS
– Once my measurements were complete, I grabbed my hammer and applied the two end hooks for the top Swivel End Sash Rod (curtain rod). Hooks and nails are supplied in package with the rods.
– Since this is an adjustable rod, just make sure the distance between the two end hooks does not exceed the total length of the rod. (For example; if the rod is only 19 inches long, you shouldn’t put the hooks 20 inches apart, the rod won’t reach.)
STEP 3: REPEAT this step for the bottom Swivel End Sash Rod about 5.5 inches below the 1st rod (the height of the Bygel Container plus .5 inches). All cabinets range in size, measure according to what works for you.
(Side Note: Ikea sells a similar rod that the Bygel Containers can be hung from, however, their dimensions are longer than my 20 inch cabinet door, hence the reason I went with a Swivel End Sash Rod.
STEP 4: ADD CONTAINERS
– Grab your Ikea Bygel Containers and apply two on each rod.
STEP 5: STORE AWAY!
– I filled them with my hair supplies; combs, brushes, hair clips, curl-n-iron, etc. You can fill with whatever your heart desires!
In total, I spent $6 in supplies and 20-30 minutes of my time to gain some extra storage space and a better piece of mind as I get ready for my day each morning. Winning!
Try it if you need a little more space in any rooms in your living space!
Remember…There are NO RULES! Just Guidelines!