I’m so excited to share these Spring DIY centerpiece ideas with you! Recently, I attended my very first Tea Party! The beautiful woman of CFBC put together an inspiring Women’s Tea and I had the best time! I was even more excited when they asked me to craft a few centerpieces as contest give-aways at the event. An old wooden tray and some napkin rings served as the main sources of my DIY inspiration! After some brainstorming, I came up with these two ideas…
Tea Time Centerpiece: My inspiration came from a left over wooden tray I had from work that I knew I could turn into something fun! Shopping at Homegoods I found an $8 cake stand on clearance in a great spring color! It was a perfect display piece to go on top of the tray! With these two pieces in play, my ‘Tea Time’ centerpiece theme was born…
Follow these easy steps to achieve the look.
– Glue Gun
– Tea Pot – $6
– Cake Stand – $8
– Tray (from work) – Free
– (4) Mirrored Coasters – $4
– (3) Mini Candle mugs – $3
– Flowers from Michaels – $2
– Acrylic Paint/brush – $3
TOTAL COST: $26
1) Paint the entire tray with the white Acrylic paint. Best to do two coats, this wood tray sucked up the paint! (Use one coat for the center of tray since we will be covering that with the mirrored coasters.)
2) Once dry, I added a pop of yellow to the top edges of my tray for added dimension & to enhance the spring theme I was going for.
3) Using a glue gun, I began to apply the mirrored coasters to center of tray. I applied a small amount of glue to the feet of the first coaster and gently placed it in the corner of the tray, pressing down each corner of the mirror to secure to the tray,
4) Repeat this step until all four mirrored coasters have been added.
5) Place the cake display on the tray.
6) I had some extra tissue paper around the house in a pastel pink so I decided to add that to the top for another pop of color for the spring. Make tissue paper into a square, place on cake stand and trace the circle of the tray onto the tissue paper. Use scissors to cut the excess tissue paper off of the corners you traced. Add tissue paper to the top of the cake stand.
7) Time to accessorize!
– Add tea pot to the top of cake display.
– Add the stem of the hanging flowers to nose of tea pot to give the illusion of tea pouring out.
– Place the mini tea mugs on top of the mirrored tray.
– Lastly, add flowers to the center of tea pot (as last minute call, a creative mind is always thinking of ways to make something look better!)
Reflection Centerpiece: – My inspiration for this centerpiece came from the theme of the tea party, Contentment; Waiting, trusting in Gods grace & mercy. As women, we often reflect on many things. Some of us find a calming place to sit down and study our bibles or write our thoughts down. I thought of this centerpiece as an element you can add to your peaceful place to admire and use during these times of reflection. Here is how I put this centerpiece together…
– Glue Gun
– Wire cutter
– (4) Napkin rings (Homegoods) – $3
– An Arrangement of Floral Stems ($1ea. at dollar store) – $12
– (2) Pens – Free
– Green Floral Tape Stem Wrap (dollar store) – $1
TOTAL COST: $16
1) Trim/Arrange Floral Stems
I gathered the floral stems and held them up to my vase to measure how much I should trim. I then clipped the ends so that they would sit right at the opening of the vase. Once trimmed, insert floral stems into vase. Play around with the arrangement until you have accomplished your desired look.
2) Make Pen Holder
– Take the four napkin holders out of package.
– Add a layer of glue on top of a napkin ring with your trusty glue gun. Quickly take another napkin ring and place it directly on top to secure them together. Repeat this step with the remaining two rings. (It doesn’t take long for the glue to dry so act fast!)
– Place the new pen holder on top of the tray next to the floral arrangement.
3) Make Floral Pens
(You’ll need two floral stems, two Bic pens and the floral stem wrap tape)
– Trim the floral stem with the wire cutter leaving 1-1.5 inches in length.
– Align the floral stem with the top of the pen (you can use any pen of your choice for this).
– Take the floral stem wrap tape and begin to wrap it around the top of the floral stem and pen securing the objects together.
– Continue wrapping the floral tape in a diagonal motion until you reach the bottom of pen, then reverse the process and begin to wrap the tape in a diagonal direction on the way back up. In essence you will now have two coats of the floral tape wrapped around the pen.
– When you reach the top rip the tape and use your fingers to blend the remaining tape into the top of the flower pen.
– Repeat this process with the second flower & pen.
4) Accent Centerpiece With a Statement Candle
– I had a candle with the inspirational phrase “Choose Happy” on the front. It fit in with the overall theme of the Tea so I added this as the 3rd element on the tray.
5) Place Elements on Top of a Picture Frame
– If you have an extra picture frame at home, you can insert a nice decorative piece of paper inside the frame and add the Floral Vase, Pen Holder & statement candle on top. This will pull together the overall look of your centerpiece for a chic design.
There you have it, two new centerpiece ideas! Hopefully this has stirred up your creativity! Feel free to use these ideas for any event you have coming up or even use singular elements to help your own crafting.
Oh did I mention I won a prize for one of the centerpieces??? I’m not sure which one…but it was an honor just to be nominated!! ;o)